If you've been in a car accident, you're likely feeling anxious and scattered. It's important to remember some post-accident procedures right now to help with peace of mind in the future. As a premier car accident lawyer in Colorado Springs, Tim Buxton has helped countless clients deal with the aftermath of an auto accident. Here are some ways to make the post accident and claims process a lot smoother:
1. Move to a Safe Area If it's safe to do so and you aren't seriously injured, move your car out of further harm's way, like to the shoulder of the road. If moving your car just isn't possible, flip on your hazards to warn other drivers that your vehicle isn't going anywhere any time soon.
2. Get out of your Vehicle Make sure your car is no longer moving, turn off the engine, shift into park, or set the hand brake if you drive a manual. Take a moment to catch your breath. Check to make sure it's safe to get out of your car before opening the door. If you have flares or similar road safety items, consider using them.
3. Check on the safety of others involved Check on all the other parties involved, including drivers, passengers, and pedestrians, to make sure no one is hurt. Call 911 if anyone may be injured. Even a seemingly minor symptom like dizziness should be checked out by a health care professional.
4. Dispatch the Police to the scene Even in minor accidents, a police accident report can prove invaluable when dealing with your car insurance company and other drivers. Cooperate fully, but avoid admitting fault or blaming others while at the scene. Let the police objectively judge events and determine who, if anyone, is at fault in the crash.
5. Gather info Try to write down as much info as possible in the accident aftermath, including: Driver and passenger names, License plate numbers, Insurance info, Makes and models of all vehicles involved, Contact info for any eyewitnesses, Location of the accident, and The name and badge number of any responding police officers.
6. Document the Scene If you have a smartphone with a camera, snap some photos of the accident scene. They'll come in handy during the claim process. 7. Call a Colorado Springs car accident lawyer to help fight for your rights and give you peace of mind!